Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Day One

Luckily there was a bed available for me today. A little later than planned, but that's okay.

We got admitted, Got my bracelets,got my room, and met the nurses. Next is PICC line placement. That is really quite a procedure. First the nurse used ultrasound to find a suitable vein in my upper arm. Then she measures from her intended insertion point to where she believes my superior vena cava is. That's right at the top of my heart, yikes. After insertion, with something called the introducer (and scalpel kelly told me later), she threads the catheter towards my heart. To check for correct placement, she flushed the line with saline. I felt the flush in my jugular. Not correct. Second time is a charm. Now a chest X-ray, to make certain it's in the right place. It is!!

Had my first dose of IL 2 at 6. I felt a little crummy. Dizzy, nauseous, chills. That passed in about an hour. Next dose at 2 am:)

4 comments:

  1. Many warm thoughts and prayers for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just take them one at a time Heather. That's all you can do. Wish I could take one for you. Praying for you!

    ReplyDelete