Friday, October 14, 2011

The Beginning

As some of you already know, I have recently been diagnosed with Metastatic Melanoma.

We found out because of an abdominal bleed that landed me in the emergency room. After my surgeon, Dr Mora, removed my left ovary, about 2500 cc's of blood and repaired the ruptured cyst in my right ovary we felt pretty lucky.  However,  the pathology report on my ovary that had been removed stopped us in our tracks.  Melanoma!  We couldn't believe it.  So it starts.  Doctor's appointment's, MRI, PET scan, meeting with an oncologist in Bellingham, then being referred to Seattle Cancer Care Alliance (SCCA).  All of this while trying not to google metastatic melanoma and totally freak out.

After our meeting at SCCA with Dr Margolin, we have decided on a course of treatment called high dose IL 2.  It will be administered at the University of Washington Medical Center. I will start this treatment on Wednesday October 19th. It will consist of 5-6 days in the ICU receiving infusions of IL 2, followed by 9 days of recovery then another 5-6 days in the ICU.  More treatments will follow. What treatment it will be depends on if, and how well, the IL 2 works.

If you care to follow, I will be updating regularly.

I want to thank everyone for all of the love and support that we have received in this difficult time.  I cannot fully express how truly fortunate Kelly and I feel to be surrounded by such great friends and family.  I have been surprised and amazed over and over by you all.:)

Heather

3 comments:

  1. I'm signed up and ready to keep you company!

    Dave

    ReplyDelete
  2. We LOVE you Heather! I'll follow you anywhere! =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Heather and Kelly..... how shocked and heart-broken I was, on your behalf, when I heard this news through our BFD family. I am so very sorry that you are having to go through this.

    I just want to let you know that Tracie and I are praying for you both, regularly. We will follow your progress here at your blog.

    I am sure that you guys will be overwhelmed with love and support from so very many.....and we would like to also reach out to you both and let you know that we are here, not just for prayer, but for anything at all that we might be able to do to help you guys.

    I pray that you will have amazing courage and strength every day, as you fight the good fight, both for yourself, and for Kelly.

    Blessings to you.... Gordon & Tracie Neitling

    ReplyDelete