Tuesday, January 17, 2012

The plan as of today

After conferring over the phone and through emails, the plan is to go to te Puget Sound Blood Center(PSBC) on January 30th early morning, then to the UW to check into the ICU in the afternoon.

At the PSBC I will be undergoing leukaphersis procedure. In the process I will have 2 large bore IV's placed, one in each arm. My blood will be drawn from one arm to a machine. The machine will separate out and collect white blood cells (leukocytes). The machine will then return the remainder of my blood to me through the 2nd IV. This will take 3-4 hours. This procedure is being performed as a part of a research study. My collected white blood cells will be used to grow T cells. These T cells will, in the lab, be 'trained' to recognize my melanoma. This will be done using a sample from my tumor that has had some genetic testing performed on it. These T cells may at some point be given back to me to see if my immune system can recognize and fight my cancer. The modified T cells would, if used, be used in conjunction with a medication. At this point, probably ipilimamab. So, right now, it is just a collection process. The T cells will be saved for some time down the road when I may need them.

Next, I am scheduled to check into the ICU, UW at 1:00 pm. Hopefully a bed will be available. You just never know?

I will undergo the same treatment sequence as last time. Around 5 days in ICU receiving IL2, about 9 days at home, about 5 more days in the ICU, then home to recover. I am so hoping my blood pressure stays high enough, my heart rate stays low and regular, my breathing is good, and that I leave my PICC line alone. What else, well I guess I'd like it to be easy. How's that for a wish!

I know what to expect, ths is a blessing and a curse. At least I will know that IL 2 works for me as I endure the discomfort of the treatment.

I am looking forward to seeing some good friends and family before I start treatment again. I know that I probably won't remember most of February, such a strange feeling. You can probably look forward to some incoherent texts and or posts. I hope they make you laugh.

I appreciate all the love, support, inquiry and positive energy that I get everyday from all of you!!!

Heather

3 comments:

  1. I look forward to our fun time together before your treatment! Every day I catch myself thinking about all you've gone through and what a kick-ass Wonder Woman you are ... and you're my friend, so how lucky am I?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Wood Family chapter of the HDFC will be ready to cheer you on!!!!
    We love you!!!
    Darren,Sara,Zak & Lauryn =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. So great Heather!! Wish we could have spent even more time with you both in Seattle. Hugs to you and Kelly as you buckle down for February. We will send you as much good energy as we can muster!
    -Amy, Todd, and the boys

    ReplyDelete