Saturday, January 14, 2012

Believe it!

It's been awhile since my last post and I have some new, good news!

I had another PET scan on Wednesday the 11th and just went to my oncologist in Bellingham, Dr. Rubin, on Friday. We looked over the report and the images from my scan. The 2 lesions that were present and actively taking up glucose in December are now smaller and not active. "No persistent abnormal FDG activity within the previously noted subcutaneous nodules." This is of course fantastic news! Also, the report states there is no new metastatic disease.

I have now read the report maybe ten times! It just doesn't seem real. Although I know that it is. Kelly and I could not be happier. It is still scary, I can't help but wonder when it will come back. But, I can't live worrying about things I can't control. I am doing my best at that.

So, because the IL 2 worked so well for me, Dr. margolin has 'offered' me another round. We are going for it! It may seem crazy, but I am glad to have he opportunity for more IL 2. I feel that it worked so well, why not kick my cancer while it is down. Maybe it will then stay away for even longer. I'm not saying that I will enjoy it.

Dr. Margolin also has asked if I will participate in a clinical trial. I dont know much about the trial at this point. I am going to participate and I will certainly learn more about it soon. I will also start IL 2 soon. Date yet to be determind. Of course all of this comes on a holiday weekend. Another lesson in patience for me. Next week will be filled with calls, planning, and maybe appointments. Here we go again.

I feel great! I feel strong! I am ready to fight again!

Lots to think about. Lots to celebrate!

4 comments:

  1. I still haven't recovered from hearing this awesome news! Every time I think of it, I am overcome with joy and relief for you and Kelly. Love you both and, of course, will continue praying for more positive outcomes. HDFC!!!! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a perfect comment from S. What else should be said? Tremendous news! I know how hard the effects of IL-2 are, but I salute you and your strength to zap melanoma even more!!!! It is the decision of a well-grounded, intelligent, very strong, tough, and determined woman. Kudos to you! Love ya' LOTS!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Best.News.Ever. love you guys! =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. We are so happy for you Heather...and Kelly too...Very exciting. I honestly believe in the power of prayer....My brother is also doing really well. Just finished radiation and getting ready to start second set of chemotherapy. But he has had almost no side effects from treatment, which his doctors say is a great
    sign! We will be cheering you on through your next treatment, Go Heather!

    ReplyDelete