Sunday, July 22, 2012

There's only one way to know for sure

It is ironic that as I walked the Survivor lap at the Relay for Life last Friday I started to have some abdominal pain. I thought I just had a little stomach ache, not too unusual. My discomfort, however, lasted through the weekend. By Monday, I started to realize that this was a feeling I had felt before. This was the same pain/discomfort that I had last summer that we didn't know the origin of until I ended up in the emergency room. Based on ultrasound findings, it appears that I may have another ovarian cyst, or cysts. With my history of melanoma in my left ovary, melanoma is suspected in these cysts on my remaining right ovary. We will be returning to SCCA this Thursday for another scan, a consult/pre-op, and pre-anesthesia appointments. I will, almost certainly, have surgery on Friday to have a procedure called a bilateral salpingo oophorectomy (surgery to remove my right ovary and both fallopian tubes). These will be biopsied to determine if there is melanoma present. I have no idea, at this point, how we will proceed if there is any cancer present. We are feeling optimistic. I will be in expert hands at the SCCA and UWMC. I have beaten the odds so far and I don't intend to quit anytime soon!

5 comments:

  1. Will be thinking good and positive thoughts for you Heather.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We are praying so hard for good news, we love you Heather!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You will beat it! I will be sending happy thoughts, as will Riley. You have to get all better because I am coming to visit in October. Hugs and love- Jackie

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am praying for you Heather and Kelly, and also for those who's hands your care will be in. xoxo

    ReplyDelete