Saturday, February 11, 2012

There's always a 'but'...

It's Saturday, I have been home for almost a week. I feel marginal. I have lost 40 pounds since Sunday. Looking forward to feeling great soon!

Tuesday Dr. Margolin called and explained to me that she did not want me to have anymore IL 2 treatment. She feels the risk of me having more cardiac complications is too high. I figured that would be her opinion. I have to say, I was both relieved and saddened by this news. IL 2 treatment is awful but it worked for me. I feel like my best treatment has been taken off the table. It probably sounds strange.

I now have a cardiologist! After my most recent episode at the UWMC, a cardiac follow up was recommended. Thursday Kelly and I met with cardiologist Dr. Beglin. He reviewed my medical history and expressed his desire to help me treat my cancer most effectively. Dr. Beglin performed his exam and viewed an electrocardiogram(ECG) of my heart. Based on what he saw there he ordered an echocardiogram. He explained that he wanted it done soon so that he could give results as soon as possible. So, later that day, we came back for my echo. This test takes about a half an hour, no big deal. Apparently, I had an echo in the hospital in November. This is just another thing I don't remember.

Dr. Beglin called yesterday afternoons to let me know what the echo revealed. He explained to me that my heart function looks totally normal but there's just one thing....
There is some inflammation around the lining of my heart, the pericardium. This isn't surprising, this lining responds to the IL 2 like the rest of my body. However, Dr. Beglin explained, the are 1 or 2 spots that he can't see very well on the echo. To get a more detailed view he would like an MRI of my heart.

So, sometime next week (hopefully) I will have an MRI of my heart. Most likely, these small lesions are just inflammation from my treatment. There is a possibility that they could be cancer. Great! Lesions around the heart aren't detectable on a PET scan because of the way that scan works.

Today is a beautiful, sunny day! My sisters are coming up to visit for the afternoon! I have more to be thankful for than to complain about!

Until next time....

1 comment:

  1. My heart tells me your heart is perfect. Love you little feather. :)

    ReplyDelete