Wednesday, March 28, 2012

What a ride!

Six months ago I was diagnosed with metastatic melanoma. Unbelievable. What's even more unbelievable is that my most recent PET scan shows no evidence of disease.
I feel a mixture, sometimes roller coaster of emotions: joy, disbelief, amazement, shock, relief, exhaustion, and even guilt.
For now, I am winning. However, melanoma isn't a fair opponent. It plays by it's own rules, and sometimes (most of the time) plays dirty.
I am sure, at least for a while, I will feel as if I am looking over my shoulder, waiting...watching...wondering. Melanoma may want to play again. Hopefully, it is done with me.
I feel extremely fortunate, exceptionally lucky. My treatments worked. It wasn't easy, but I know that my story could be so very different.

Thanks to all for your support, love, and prayers.

Heather

2 comments:

  1. YEA!!!!!!!!!!!!! You've been through a hellish ordeal and come out on top. We have been eagerly waiting to hear about the PET Scan. We could not be happier for you, for Kelly, for your entire family and legion of friends. Hugs and lots of love to you and to Kelly. Look out Ireland! Here you come.

    ReplyDelete
  2. YAY!!!!!!!!! Amazing news, we are elated for you!!!! I kept saying to Todd that I don't think I could have been as strong as you, and no doubt your attitude and strength are part of the reason you fought it off. Hugs to you guys, and have fun on your trip!

    ReplyDelete